Last year we discovered a new favorite Christmastime confection to add to our holiday repertoire.
Creamy Peppermint Patties
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. peppermint extract (I like more, so I add 2)
9 cups powdered sugar (I use about 8 cups)
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbs. shortening
In large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and extract until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Shape into 1-in. balls and place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten into patties. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
In microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Dip patties into melted chocolate; place on waxed paper until firm (I refrigerate). Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Note: I think I burned out my hand mixer making these last year, so this year I made the peppermint centers in my KitchenAid with the cookie paddle attachment... it worked much better.
The bottom of a glass works perfectly for smashing the centers.
I think I had a problem with the milk chocolate chips last year, since I had made a note to use only semi-sweet. However, NOW I think they set up better with the milk chocolate chips added, so next year I will probably try again.
Bill, Lex and Mauri did the dipping, with their "let's git 'er done" attitude. I was worried that they would be too ugly to give, but for the most part they turned out dandy. IF you take a few extra minutes in the dipping process, they will most likely turn out perfectly.
After a little trimming, they look great. Although there were a few too ugly to give (could that have been on purpose?):
Yum-O. I think I've put on a few pounds.

Those look and sound yummy. I'm going to try them. My whole family loves peppermint patties!
ReplyDelete