Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mrs. Allen's Candy

I was trying to find the only picture I recall of my Grandma G. making Christmas candy.  I can see the picture clearly in my mind... she's wearing purple, and holding a pan of some kind of sweet homemade confection. But this hasn't been my lucky-picture-finding-morning, and as usual, I don't have much time.

In my search, however, I ran across this picture:


This is a picture of my Aunt Carol's family at the funeral of my Uncle Dick (her husband).  Grandma G. is on the bottom right, next to Aunt Carol (middle).  I am only left to assume that the sweet elderly lady on the left is Aunt Carol's mother.

What does all that have to do with making Christmas candy?  Well, from my recollection, I believe that Aunt Carol's mother is "Mrs. Allen."  In the Goldsberry family, we have been making Mrs. Allen's Candy at Christmastime for as long as I can remember.  It seems like when I would ask, "Who is Mrs. Allen?"  I would be told that she was Aunt Carol's mom.  I know that kids can sometimes mix things up (I occasionally get in disagreements with my children on what really happened at one time or another), so if I'm wrong, don't correct me.  Let me think I have finally put a face on the woman whose candy has always been my personal favorite.

I made my first batch of the season yesterday.


I still use the copy of the recipe I made back in a Home Ec class in high school.  I typed it on a typewriter, for goodness sakes.  I have been asked for the recipe many times, and have always explained that it's called Mrs. Allen's Candy simply because that's what it is, and what I've always known it to be.

So in the spirit of giving, I thought I would share this family favorite.

Mrs. Allen's Candy

1 pkg. brown sugar (1 lb) - 2-1/3 c. packed
Scant cup light corn syrup
(I shared this recipe with a friend - much younger than myself - who had to ask what "scant" meant)
1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
2 cubes margarine (I use butter)

Mix and cook until comes to a boil.  Turn to low and cook for 12-1/2 minutes, stirring all the time.  Pour on buttered pan (9x13) over broken walnuts (the nuts are optional - I LOVE the nuts, but most of my family prefers no nuts).  Cool and turn out and cut.  Note:  We wrap these in waxed paper and keep them in the freezer.  (That helpful hint is on my original recipe.)

This recipe is NOT rocket science... sometimes my candy turns out a little soft, sometimes a little hard.  Once I boiled it for the 12-1/2 minutes on med/high heat, which I wouldn't recommend.   The candy turned out so hard we had to chisel it out of the pan, then toss it in the garbage lest it create dental havoc.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yumm, Thanks for sharing. But to be honest, I have no idea what a scant is either. So if you would kindly share that tid bit of info, I would love to make these to go along with my mints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Scant" means a little less than a cup. My Grandma would tell me to fill the corn syrup to just a "smidge" under the one-cup line. And I'm not sure of the exact definition of smidge, so good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I will have to try it next year. They look amazing! I might even have eaten a few of them...back in the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, good to know. I hope they turn out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I called David over to read through your posting. And sure enough, that is a picture of Sister Allen, Aunt Carol's mom. And Sister Allen was every bit as sweet and edearing as her daughter still is (again, according to David.) He also remembers these caramels from his childhood but hasn't had them for years. Thanks for sharing. I believe we have found our treat for FHE next week!

    ReplyDelete